Saturday, December 22, 2007

Bah Humbug

I usually cannot wait for the holidays to get here. I love shopping for other people and wrapping presents and seeing their faces when they open them. I don't even mind if I don't get anything for Christmas because I am more about giving... as the holiday season suggests. This year however I wish I could have been selfish.



J is deployed and I have been doing the shopping with the three small fries while the bigs are at school. It was extremely difficult shopping this year so I didn't enjoy it as much as I usually do. I didn't really know what to get the kids as I was trying to keep toys at a minimum. I also did not know what to get the in laws. I hope they appreciate the thought I put into their gifts. I just want not really in the shopping spirit this year.



I also was not in the wrapping spirit. In an attempt to save the earth I was using newspaper and old bags to package gifts. I only used 1 roll of wrapping paper for family gifts... don't expect Santa to be green this year though. He is planning on using 5 different kinds of wrapping paper and lots of tape.



Yesterday we drove from Warner Robins, GA to Maumee, OH. A trip that should have taken just over 12 hours took us 15 1/2. For starters, we left an hour late after I was procrastinating. I had no desire to leave or to drive with 5 kids across 4 states. I would have stayed home this Christmas if I could have but my kids (and my in laws) would have no part of that. Bathroom breaks took us 1/2 an hour and dinner took about 2 hours. Ugh, it was not a fun drive. More about that in a later blog though as I rant about fast food signs and the seemingly endless drive in the middle of nowhere to find said fast food.



We are staying at my in laws... I love them, I really do. I just feel like I constantly have to be on my kids about every little thing and with barely a voice left as it is, it is stressing me beyond relief. Thank goodness for Lexapro! I'm not sure we would all make it through the week. At least if J was here I could lock myself in the bathroom for a while so he would HAVE to deal with the kids. Although it never works out that way, it seems. His parents always seem to take over for him or they take control of the kids if we are "arguing" over who's turn it is to change a diaper. So much for getting J to take care of his kids (sorry honey, I know you are reading but it is true).



I can already tell this Christmas is going to suck. Despite the fact that my husband is on the other side of the world and won't be home for another month, I have to deal with my family. I probably won't go to my mom's side of the family's Christmas since it is on Christmas night. That always conflicts with spending Christmas with my father in law's side of the family. Since J can't be there, I thought the least I could do is be there with my kids. That should be better than spending Christmas with a family that will ask me if I am pregnant or make some other comment that has nothing to do with me looking good despite the fact I look hot as hell.



So, on that note. Bah Humbug!!!

No comments: