Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Hawaii Winter

When you think of Hawaii you don't think about winter. It's practically the same temperature year round here. In the summer months our temps range from about 70-90. That's a pretty broad range because 90% of the time it sits between 78 and 85 for months on end.

Winter, though, that's our rainy and windy season. The temps can get down to the high 50's at night and high 70's at the peak of the day. Even if it is sunny out it can still feel cold due to the wind. Nothing like the rest of the United States is dealing with, no, but cold for those of us that actually have lived in Hawaii long enough to get acclimated.

It didn't take me long to get acclimated to 70's feeling cold. I was so glad to have brought my hoodies and boots. I never miss an opportunity to wear my boots and sweaters. Had I listened to the majority of the people on all the Hawaii Facebook pages, I would be freezing right about now.

People ask all the time if they should bring their hoodies and boots and most of the time people tell them it's not worth it. Lots of people get rid of that stuff or put into storage because they don't think they will need it. I disagree, as I am sitting here on my front porch, in the shade, with the wind blowing between the houses, still cold wearing my Wear Blue hoodie.

It's not the same kind of cold I experienced in Ohio over Christmas, and it's still weird to be able to walk to and from school or Starbucks without being bundled up but for someone that gets cold easily, this is cold. I am glad to have my hoodies. I am glad to have socks and boots and not just flip flops, or slippahs as they are called here.

I may not have to wear a coat, or gloves, or a scarf, but without my hoodies I would be a popsicle. Acclimating is real. So if you ever have to move here or visit for an extended amount of time (3+ months), then I suggest bringing a couple sweaters or hoodies and some real shoes so your feet aren't cold once you get used to these temps. Plus, you'll want some socks and sneakers if you plan on doing any hiking so at least have those on hand. Nothing is quite as sucky as not having those things and having to buy them for island prices.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not complaining. I hate snow, but I also hate sun and sand so I am thouroughly enjoying my Hawaii winter while half of the mainland is dealing with shoveling snow and frozen fingers. So, who wants to come for a visit?

No comments: