Sunday, January 20, 2008

Movie Review Monday

Just because this sounded like a good idea for a Monday... especially since I watched 3 movies this weekend. So here ya go. They may not be new movies but this is what I watched!

Hairspray
Synopsis: Set in 1962, this colorful adaptation of the Tony-winning musical (spawned by director John Waters' cult classic of the same name) follows ambitious teen Tracy Turnblad (Nikki Blonsky), who tries to integrate a racially divided Baltimore one watusi at a time. The film's star-studded cast includes John Travolta, Queen Latifah, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, Allison Janney, James Marsden and Amanda Bynes.


My thoughts: My 7 year old wanted to see this movie because it has Zac Efron and Amanda Bynes in it. I wanted to see it because it looked upbeat and fun. If you could base a movie on it's preview then this one would not disappoint. The entire cast lit up the screen and made my daughter and I want to dance along. The movie could be compared to a CD on TV, pretty much nonstop music so not the movie to watch if you have a headache coming on. John Travolta was just amazing. I give major props to any man that can wear a fat suit and dance in heels better than I could. I also loved the message that this movie portrayed (seems to be a common theme in the movies I watched this weekend). It shouldn't matter what color your skin is... all that matters is if you have the talent. Such a feel good movie. I will definitely be buying this to add to our movie collection.



Glory Road
Synopsis: Glory Road tells the true story of Don Haskins (Josh Lucas), a high school basketball coach who, in 1962, took the reins of the Texas Western Miners, an underdog NCAA Division One team. Haskins's insistence on recruiting the best players available to him, regardless of the color of their skin, revolutionized the sport ... and changed the course of history. Director James Gartner's inspiring drama triumphs both on and off the court.

My thoughts: Great movie! Josh Lucas was excellent. I am not a basketball fan by any stretch of the imagination but this movie kept my attention throughout the entire 118 minutes. Set at a time of racial segregation on the basketball court, this movie based on a real life basketball coach shows us the trials and tribulations that were faced when bringing whites and blacks together on and off the court. Don Haskins only cared about winning and in the process he made a change for the future of basketball. I am so glad I didn't send this movie back before watching it. You won't regret seeing this amazing man take his team to victory, in more ways than one.



License to Wed
Synopsis: Newly engaged Ben Murphy (John Krasinski) and Sadie Jones (Mandy Moore) encounter a roadblock to their trip down the aisle when her unusual pastor, Father Frank (Robin Williams), insists they go through a tough and quirky prenup course before he'll marry them. Since Sadie dreams of having a traditional wedding at her family church, the two agree to the marital boot camp -- but find it puts their relationship through some unexpected challenges.

My thoughts: This movie did not live up to it's full potential. I went to see this movie in theaters and took my youngest two children with me. Both of whom decided to not sit through the movie. I probably would have been disappointed in the fact I spent the insane amount of money on a movie ticket had I actually made it through the whole movie in the theater. My 15 year old cousin enjoyed it and said there were some really funny parts. Sadie & Ben are a young couple engaged to be married in three weeks due to the overzealous Father Frank giving them the option of 2 years or 3 weeks for their wedding date. They would also have to complete a marriage course in three weeks to prove they were ready to be married. Tests included learning good communication skills with a blindfolded Sadie driving a car by listening to directions from Ben in the back seat to taking home electronic twin babies. This part had to be the funniest part of the movie. Had it not been for the sweet, romantic ending to the movie I probably wouldn't have liked this movie. Ben redeems himself and the movie all in about 5 minutes at the end of the movie. I recommend that you do not buy this movie until you have rented it or borrowed it from a friend.

No comments: