Monday, July 14, 2008

Movie Review Monday - On Time This Time :)

We watched three movies this week. One of them was actually a new movie, at the theater! I officially have a husband again and we went on our first "date" on Thursday. We saw Hancock... that was the day after watching Mr. Brooks and before that we watched P.S. I love you. We also tried watching Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark Friday night but none of us could stay up long enough to watch it. Without further ado, here are this weeks movies in review...

P.S. I love you - A love story starring Hilary Swank , Kathy Bates, Lisa Kudrow, Harry Conick Jr, and others. Swank plays a woman that loses her husband. She is so caught up in her mourning that she lets herself and her home go. I couldn't imagine what I would do if I lost my husband, but I imagine it would resemble what she did. She learns that her husband put a plan in motion before his death to have letters delivered to her over a period of time. Through these letters she learns to live again... and to move on. Really good movie. 4 out of 5 stars, easy. Very touching, and you will probably cry at least once.

Mr. Brooks - A psychological thriller where Kevin Costner plays a serial killer that is trying to better himself. He goes to AA meetings because his killing is an addiction. He has a voice inside his head named Marshall... this is the side of him that wants to kill. He makes a fatal mistake which sets an elaborate plan into motion. Demi Moore plays the cop trying to find him. Totally unexpected ending. The whole movie was really good up until the end with the twist. Too gory for my liking (only at the end though) and I was afraid to go to sleep. It can be likened to movies such as Copy Cat or The Bone Collector but with the ending I can only give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Hancock - In this part action, part comedy Will Smith plays an untypical superhero in LA that doesn't know why he is what he is. He has to learn to control himself and comes to some realizations about who is. Very good movie. 4 out of 5 stars only because it moved slowly in the beginning. It took awhile to work up to its potential but I think they hit the nail on the head. Gotta love Will Smith. Worth the money to see in theaters (go to a matinee to save some if you can though), stay through some of the credits for extra scenes.

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (my initial impression) - Only rated PG but rather graphic and scary for kids. My son wants to see the new one but he couldn't even sit there for a few minutes to watch this one. I haven't seen any of them so Id rather watch them first before seeing the new one. I wondered why he had a whip in the first place. John says we wont know until the 3rd movie... hmph! Lots of action right from the beginning. I think if it wasn't so graphic with all the killing and such the kids would really enjoy them. I wonder if the new one is as graphic... I mean, this is a new era in movies and trying to gear them toward families rather than one age group is a primary factor in these kinds of movies. With the PG rating I thought, "How bad could it be?" but maybe PG was more lax back then... usually when I think of PG, I think Shrek and Firehouse Dog... not a man getting stabbed through his entire body with his eyes and mouth wide open in a close up shot on my 27" screen. Maybe not the family movies I was hoping for.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Is untypical a word? I thought it was atypical. Hmm oh well anyway - I want to see Hancock it looks good glad you liked it. The Mr. Brooks sounds good too but the PS i love you just wasn't my thing.

Thanks for your reviews!

Shannon said...

Good review. I want to see P.S. I Love You since I just read the book. We saw Hancock and liked it too. Mr. Brooks sounds like a good rental that both my husband and I would enjoy.