Monday, October 20, 2008

Movie Review Monday

I haven't been watching many movies lately. Just haven't had the time. I've been working and just doing the mom thing. And now with the Fall TV Season in full swing, I just don't have the time anymore. But I did go see a movie on Friday night, and I am going again this Friday (watch for my review of HSM3 next Monday). This week's review is on a movie called "The Secret Life of Bees" with Dakota Fanning and Queen Latifah.

The Secret Life of Bees: Set in the 60's when the Civil Rights Act was being passed, a girl (Dakota Fanning) runs away from her abusive father in search of the truth about her mother. With only a picture and her black housemaid (not Queen Latifah), she makes her way to a town where she thought her mother may have been at one point. A very heartwrenching story. I have never read the book but I have been told the movie does the movie a good bit of justice. Very much worth the $9 it cost to get in but I could have done without the rude people sitting near us that took it upon themselves to talk whenever there was a lull in the movie or laugh hysterically when something wasn't even funny or talk to the screen saying things like "You go girl!" or "Oh no she dinit." or "Mmm hmmm." Yah, could have done without that. All in all, loved it, 5 netflix stars!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an awesome book! I'm not surprised it was made into a movie, but I do hope it follows the book, too many times that doesn't happen...(think The Notebook or Memoirs of a Geisha).

I'm interested to hear the review on HSM3- I'm at loss to all the hype about it (and Hannah Montana).

Bri said...

OMG we are MAJOR High School Musical fans in this house! I enjoy it just as much as the kids do and I am pretty excited to see it on Friday. There are nine of us going (including DH and the three oldest kids, the babies are going to a sitter). We also love Hannah Montana. I guess you either LOVE 'EM or HATE 'EM, not really an in between.

Anonymous said...

Nah, not that I hate either, I'm simply in the retaul business and inudated with them every.single.day. I probably would like HSM, it reminds me of Grease and I love Grease. ;P

Bri said...

Thanks, I couldnt remember who the other actresses were in the movie. I'm not so good with names LoL