Friday, November 7, 2008

Hurry, hurry, drive the firetruck!!!



As I was getting the kids ready for school, my eye was caught by some flashing red lights outside my window. I looked out to see two firetrucks at the end of my road and the neighbors standing outside. I walked down to the end of my driveway to try and get a better look but there was no smoke. I came back in to finish getting the kids ready so that I could load them into the wagon and walk them to the corner (past all the firetrucks).

As I walked down there I asked Miss Helen what had happened. Apparently as she was getting ready to leave this morning she saw some smoke. She called her daughter and then the smoke got worse so she called Savannah Fire to the rescue. They obviously do not take this kind of thing lightly because on closer inspection there were not only two firetrucks... there were FOUR! And three pickups (like the Chief drives) lining my street and the cross street that leads to the kids' school.

I crossed the street with the kids and started talking to someone else that lives down the street. She was concerned and wanted to see if anyone needed anything since three years ago she was in a similar situation. We could smell the smoke but we couldn't see any from where were standing. It reminded me of the smell that comes from my oven when I am cooking... only WAY stronger. Since there was no major concern the other neighbor went back home to eat breakfast and I came back home with the three little ones.
As of now there are no firetrucks left out there so I can only assume they found the source of the smoke and have gotten it taken care of. I will update later if I run into Miss Helen again.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Wouldn't surprise me if it was some moron burning trash in a can or something. My neighbor does this all the time even thought its totally illegal to do so inside city limits but he still does it. Drives me crazy because the smoke comes right over to our yard and it stinks!