Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Say NO to Yes Man

At least, in the theaters. I wish the majority of the fans would have told the truth about this movie... so NOT worth it to pay $9 a ticket to see it in theaters.

It started out slow and I was highly disappointed in that. I guess I had my expectations set to high thinking it would be as funny as Liar, Liar. John said it was better than he had expected while I thought it wasn't as good as I had anticipated. What it lacked for in storyline, it made up for in stupidity. The funny parts were hilarious... Jim Carrey can still make anyone laugh with his silly antics but the acting among everyone was below par.

Jim Carrey plays Carl Allen, a man that always made excuses and always said no to everything. He runs into a former co-worker that tells how the Yes Man program changed his life and after some consideration he decides to go for it. The Yes Man tells him he has to say YES to EVERYTHING or bad things will happen. He has the ability to say no, but when bad things start to happen he begins to freak out. From then on Carl says yes to anything he is asked, including snorting hot sauce and giving a homeless man all his money. His best friends start to take advantage of his covenant and Carl finds himself in situations he never would have gotten himself into like planning a bridal shower for a woman that HATES him. The story is about a man that is trying to change his life but realizes going from one end of the spectrum to the other isn't always a good idea. When he threw caution to the wind he met new people, helped his bank, and enjoyed himself but he also hurt people and got himself into some trouble. He had to realize what opportunities were the right ones to take.

I would have much preferred waiting for this one to come on DVD. Between dinner and the movie we spent damn near $70. We didn't have to pay a sitter so that was a good thing... oh, and dinner was good, and would have been much more expensive had I not had my free appetizer and free half slab of ribs coupons they sent me for my birthday.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Aw, that's too bad. I had heard this movie was Jim Carrey as he used to be, and I was really excited to see it. I should have known it was too good to be true.